Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Work Faster. Work Harder. Keep Going.

I'm currently outlining my third novel. My first novel is still in need of serious revisions. My second novel stalled around 25,000 words (which I did not outline).

There is still SO much to learn. Sometimes I ask myself why I bother, when there are so many other worthwhile things I could use my time on. (my husband, kids, parents, home, school, church) I could fulfill my other obligations more thoroughly and with more peace if I would just quit this head game called writing.

The guilt comes from knowing that what I'm writing isn't good enough for publication.
The guilt comes from knowing that what I'm writing isn't good enough for publication yet.

See what I did there? Reread those two sentences. After the first I could easily say, "So why bother? Quit wasting time." After the second I need to say, "So keep going. Work faster. Work harder."

I need to work faster and harder. If I quit now then writing becomes yet another hobby I discarded when it got too tough. I know I have a lot to learn. I need to learn it faster. I need to discipline myself to do more in less time, not just with writing but with my life.

Today I was looking for motivational quotes for the students at school who are about to take the state tests. I think I may have helped myself more than them.

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
"Even experts were beginners at some thing." Unknown
"Never, never, never give up." Winston Churchill

I'll keep going. I'll work faster. I'll work harder, because I KNOW I can do this. It just takes time.

No comments:

Post a Comment