Friday, March 12, 2010

Beginnings

I can't believe I let three weeks pass since my last post, but I have an excuse! I really, really, do. And it's not too bad of an excuse, either.

I've been thinking a lot about beginnings lately. Last month I finished my first draft and started revisions, but the beginning didn't feel right. I was fortunate enough to get in on Roni's Beta Club, and I found out right away what was wrong. To make it worse, the problems I have with it are all things I have heard before. Show, don't tell. Don't dump a lot of backstory up front. I know these things, but my beginning was thick with this kind of stuff. It's hard to see what's wrong in your own writing. At least it is for me. I'm so grateful for Roni's critique and the other comments as well. I can't wait to tear this thing apart and rework it. But first...

I have another big beginning looming up in front of me. We found out a few weeks ago that we would probably need to move to another town about seventy miles away. This week it became official. My hubby has gotten a transfer, and we will move when school is out. So that means preparing to sell our home while looking for another one, and the clock is ticking. We've lived in our home for over 10 years, and the idea of moving is both exciting and sad at the same time. My brain has been so overwhelmed with preparations that I haven't been able to focus on writing or revisions.

But at least I can still read, right? And oh my, I just got my hands on Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instrument series. I'm on the second book, so don't tell me how it ends, okay?

In the meantime, I'll try to do better about posting. I mean, seriously, three weeks? I'm sure I can do better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment