Monday, February 15, 2010

First Hurdle - Cleared!!

Guess what? This weekend I finished the first draft of my first novel ever!

WooHoo! I've been smiling ever since.  :)   (See?)

Oh, I know that it's a major piece of poo, but it's my poo! I did it!

I started this novel SEVERAL months ago. (I'm embarrassed to admit how long ago.) I have learned so much since I started writing. I've been reading craft books like Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell, other YA books, and also other blogs. But I did not go back and try to fix things. Otherwise, I might still be on Chapter 1.

So, how flawed is it? Let me count the ways.
1) Several areas - like characters and settings - are underdeveloped.
2) I have entire scenes, as well as snippets of others, that are missing. On the other hand, I think I have a scene in there that I knew when I wrote it that it wouldn't make the final cut.
C) My dialogue resembles talking heads.
4) I have too much show, and not enough tell.
#) How do I describe this problem? It's told in first person, but I don't think I really let her share her thoughts or opinions enough. Does that make sense? This may fall under number 1.
AND finally...
6) I have a prologue! (The horror! I can hear your screams from here!)

And those are just the problems I can name off the top of my head. I'm sure there are scores of others I haven't even noticed yet. That's okay! I'll fix them as I find them (or as someone else points them out to me).

Now I'm off to cut out a prologue and figure out how to weave in that pertinent information. And I'll be smiling while I do it.

Y'all have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. Prologues aren't always bad things. I happen to be one of those rebels who like then. ;)

    Congrats on your finishing your novel! That is such a cool feeling! Now you're in the revision boat with a lot of other people, me included. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That is a HUGE accomplishment. Now on to revising. Some people love it more than drafting. I, unfortunately, am not one of those people. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little behind on the congrats with this one --- but CONGRATS! This is a big accomplishment. And now you get to join me in the misery that is revision. I welcome the company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That's not a long time at all - I started my first novel in college and still haven't finished it. I didn't complete a novel until 2007 when I won my first NaNoWriMo. And I still can't complete a novel without NaNo!

    I just had to come by when I saw your comment on Roni's blog about OneRepublic - they're my fav! I've seen them 3 times already and I NEVER do that!

    ReplyDelete