Thursday, January 7, 2010

I'm On a Mission, and I'm Wishin'

. . . someone would cure this WIP's condition!

We're one week down and 51 more to go this year! How has your first week been? Still sticking to your resolutions?

My first week of 2010 had a slow start, but at least it's going now. I didn't make any resolutions, because I NEVER keep them, but I did set a few goals for myself. And it will be a gradual process to reach them.

I won't bore you with my list, but I'll let you in on a few:

1) I found a couple of conferences I want to go to. One is in late March, and the other is in April. I'm not sure I'll make the one in April, but March is looking good right now. But here's the problem - my WIP isn't finished. I haven't even finished the first draft. It's not that I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm just not there yet.
So here I am needing to finish it, revise it, revise a few more times, send it to betas (after I find a few), revise again a few more times, and edit. All by March 27. Is it possible? I have no idea. I've never been in this position before. Which leads us to . . .

2) Go to bed earlier (before midnight) and get up earlier. In a house with kids and not enough focus to be able to write with said kids around, I find myself staying up till the AM trying to get words down. Which means I'm not getting up earlier either. Then I feel lousy, which brings us to. . .

3) Get moving. I have slacked off. Period. It's amazing how fast one can lose her stamina when she's not using it. I need to walk more and work up to jogging more. There's a 5K in town at the end of April, and my goal is to work up to that. But it's hard to get motivated when you want to take a nap, right? I'll let you know how it goes, unless I slack off even more. Then you won't hear about it ever again. (Smile!)

It's a process to improve ourselves. I can't say "I will exercise, eat right, get enough rest, and write 2,000 words a day, every day!" It just won't happen. But I can work to do a little better today than I did yesterday, and a little better this week than last week. If I keep at it, then with a little luck I will be able to say this year was better than last.

And isn't that everyone's mission?

Here's to all of us having a great year!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals. Sadly, I'm not doing so well with mine right now:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about it. You'll get there! It seems like things go in cycles. I will probably be crying before the conference in March. There is so much to do before then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you the best in reaching your goals. I have some of the same. We can do it. We can do it. We can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Susan! You remind me of the little engine that could. I think I can. I think I can. But we can do it sounds better, in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your goals! I would say that for the conference, don't be too hard on yourself if your manuscript isn't ready. I went to a writer's conference last year and wasn't ready to pitch or anything, but I got SO much out the conference anyway.

    And also, if you are planning on pitching to an agent, you don't want to rush through your WIP just to be able to say done, then pitch something that's not ready.

    If you're looking for beta readers or crit group, I opened my blog comments up today to post "personal" ads for people trying to find groups or readers in their genre. So feel free to stop by and post what you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Roni! I'll check out your post today. The conference in March doesn't have a pitch, but it does have a 10 page critique. Now I wonder how polished my ms has to be for that...

    ReplyDelete