Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Is My Voice Really My Own Voice?

I told myself I wouldn't start blogging until I finished my first draft of my first novel. I lied. I've had this blog set up for a few days now, but have been apprehensive about the first post. I guess it's like going swimming. It's best just to jump in.

My friend Delinda has been reading my first draft as I write it. Yesterday she told me that she could "totally" hear me speaking as she read it.

Voice.

I was glad to hear that my work had a voice, but then I wondered if it should have my OWN voice? Is the voice in a manuscript the voice we use in our personal life? I didn't have an answer. Then, on Kiersten's blog the topic of branding came up. I realize that voice and brand are separate issues, but a lot of the comments talked about voice. Stephanie commented that people might think her character Anna speaks just like her.

So, is this a good thing? A bad thing? I suppose it depends on your genre and your characters. I imagine it would also make a difference if you're writing in first person or third.

I would love to hear other opinions on this.

1 comment:

  1. I can see all 6 paragraphs.

    Look at me; first to comment!!!

    ReplyDelete